Tuesday, July 2, 2013

In the Workroom Recap : Week 294

Canada Day weekend! If any of you non-Canadians were starting to "tsk" me for being late with my workroom recap, don't worry, I didn't forget! I had a great holiday weekend and while I did manage to get a little work done, I thought the blogging could wait a couple days so I could join the rest of my countrymen in enjoying the long weekend.

So here I am on Monday night to let you know how the last week of June went for Needlings!

I started with finishing up a secret gift project I've been working on for awhile that I may be able to share at a later date...

And then I started work on that custom doll I was waiting on a supply delivery before starting.



I met (another) Heather of Creative Bug at Heirlooms show in Welland earlier in the month and she asked me to create a custom doll for her daughter! I was happy of course to create a custom doll and after seeing a photo of her in her Wonder Woman costume and hearing a few more tidbits (she likes butterflies and liked my pom pom table at the show), I did up a little sketch and got to work as soon as the blue fur arrived!



We agreed on star glasses and a couple other things but I was mostly just asked to go ahead and make what came to me so I did just that. I'm pretty happy with how she turned out and even happier that Heather is too and excited to gift it to her daughter in August for her birthday. I hope she loves it!




I put in another order for some more fur and plan to have a few more done very soon whenever doll thoughts enter my brain.

After some other commitments were out of the way and I had some big brother birthday times, I got to work on a little owl family! It's fun to coordinate colours I wouldn't normally put together and mix and match in groups. After making literally thousands of these guys in the last five years, I love that I still can find new combinations. I have my Owl Mama to thank for a lot of my business so even when I have moments when I think I just can't sew another little beak and eye sparkle, I am thankful I can still have fun with my trusty design.




Plus practice makes perfect! Or at least better. Everyone always asks me how I get the stitching to all look the same or some such thing and I always answer, "well, I've had a lot of practice." And I have!

So that's it for the last week of June! July is starting and I'm sure I will have more to show you in the coming weeks.
This year is my first year in three or so years that I will not be scrambling to get ready for Fan Expo in August (I just can't fit it all in with the One of a Kind Show Spring and Winter shows for the first time this year) but I have lots of work to do before my next two big shows in September on top of the usual store restocks so expect to see the usual batches of goodies and new dolls pop up over the next couple of months!

Happy July! See you next week!

No comments: